Thursday, July 22, 2010

Seventy and Counting

I turned 70 today. I should be grateful for that and I certainly am but Holy Cow, how did that happen? Here I am in far northern Washington indulging in a little self indulgence (Okay, a lot of self indulgence if the truth be told) and noticing that 70 feels pretty much like 69. It also feels a lot like 49 and 59 except with more aches and pains. Shouldn’t wisdom kick in about now? Shouldn’t I have figured out what I really, really need to do before I die? It’s right there on the tip of my brain. I want to share some profound insight on this day, July 22nd, 2010, but I keep thinking about the candy store clerk who, when she found out it was my birthday, counted out 70 jelly beans (bubble gum and cotton candy flavors) and wished me a hearty Happy Birthday.

Oh, the day was much more than that. I had a lovely walk along the beach and my friend Kizzie treated me to a delicious lunch at Semiahmoo resort where we had a view of Canada across the water and I drank my first Mohito. We strolled and shopped and enjoyed beautiful scenery along the way. Still my mind returns to those 70 jelly bellies waiting in the bottom of my purse. One for every year. Wouldn’t it be something if I could eat one each night and dream the very best days of each of those years. Now that would be something to write about!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment