Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Breast Reconstruction

Yesterday I had surgery to repair damage to my right breast caused by my cancer surgery and subsequent radiation. At the same time, I had my left breast reduced to conform more closely in size and shape to the reconstructed right breast.

At first, I didn’t want to write about my decision to have this surgery. I was afraid that my choice might be perceived as vanity. After all, who cares? The only ones will even see my breasts, besides myself, are my husband and my doctors. Why should I put myself through a painful procedure for such a limited audience? I could just buy my usual 42D bra and stuff the right side to make things appear balanced. It’s been a very long time since I stuffed a bra, but there is no shame in that.

The thing is I want to be balanced and not merely appear balanced. I don’t like being lopsided and would prefer that my breasts jiggle in relative unison when I get on the treadmill. What’s so terrible about that? Being a big breasted girl from a family of big breasted girls, I was never able to get into the joy of running. Running was never a pleasure for me. While other girls were pumping their arms as they ran around the track, I was crossing my arms across my generous chest to reduce the painful bouncing. Of course I’m not suggesting that I will take up running now but a brisk pace on the treadmill with minimal bouncing sounds desirable to me.

I know there are women who live with the after effects of lumpectomies or even double mastectomies and don’t seem to give it a thought. Or, if they do, the thought of undergoing anther surgery discourages them. I certainly had my own pre-surgery jitters. Any time someone is going to cut into and remove some of your flesh, it’s more than a little worrisome.

I have heard from several sources that breast reduction can alleviate neck and back pain although I’m not sure if my neck and back pain are at all related to my breast size and weight. Still, it seems like as good a reason as any to get them reduced.

So, there are many factors involved when making a decision like this. After weighing (small pun intended) all of them, or as many as I could think of, it comes down to what I want. That’s what my husband tells me. I like the idea of having my breasts even and buying a bra that fits both sides. Maybe that’s all the justification I need.

Meanwhile, my husband is pampering me and managing my meds-—Cephalexin (antibiotic), Celebrex (anti-inflammatory), Sinecch (homeopathic to reduce bruising) and, best of all, Vicodin. My pain levels are modest and I have a license to be lazy.

Life is Good!
.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent self analysis. If you want something and it is within your means, go for it. You always look good to me no matter what. Now back to the pampering.

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete