Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Support Groups

I have been checking out support groups. A recent visit to my old gynecological support group in Eugene reminded me why I value support groups. Some of the people were the same and some were ‘newbies’ but they are all struggling with the same disease--just different stages and versions of a fairly similar story. They have a certain look in common. It’s the survivor look. You can see they have seen the dragon and faced him down. It seems impossible that they can look both frail and incredibly strong but they do. Their bodies may be weak but their spirits are fierce. I love their ability to see the stark truth and still refuse to be a statistic. They are courageous and infuse me with their unique realistic optimism. I realize how much I have missed them.

I had lunch with a group of breast cancer survivors. My contact with Reach for Recovery (Sandy) introduced me to this once a month luncheon group. Most of them are years out from their diagnosis and treatment and that is encouraging. They represent a spectrum of ages and a variety of experiences. It seems that all sorts of choices can lead to recovery and a reasonably full life.

The weekly cancer group that meets in Eugene is younger, on average, and most are still in treatment. There is a greater sense of urgency because decisions are still being made and members of the group are seeking information. That group also has a moderator who keeps things moving and on target.

The forth group is a dinner group of long time survivors. My friend Carolyn introduced me to this group. The women are warm and welcoming. As a ‘newbie’ to breast cancer, I may not fit in as well but we are similar in age and attitude. At least that was how I felt after one dinner with them.

I doubt I will want to maintain four support groups although three of them only meet once at month. I do know that support is an important component of recovery for me so I can be a visitor for a while and see which one(s) work best.

.

1 comment:

  1. We need a campaign: "Support Support!" Maybe a blue ribbon intertwined with a pink one. I'll wear the first one.

    Support groups can be daunting at the same time they uplift and while they share their experience, strength and hope. Keep sharing yours. People you've never met need you, as do your fellow support groupies... and me.

    ReplyDelete