Saturday, June 9, 2012

Time Away

Time away is so very precious--not only for writing but for nourishing the soul. This weekend my friend Kizzie and I are in Yachats at the Overleaf Lodge, one of our favorite places. She is here to put the final touches on her book, "A Tall Tale about a short Long Dog: How Dachshunds Came to Be". Kizzie shared a mock up of her whimsical book with me. Her story and the art work by Scott Ward are captivating. The best part for us is that the whole thing started with a writing exercise we did several years back while staying here at the Overleaf Lodge. We had lunch at a local restaurant and I gave us the assignment to write a tall tale. Kizzie has been perfecting her story ever since and now she is preparing for a book launch in October. Amazing and inspiring. It makes me want to jump start my own writing which has been not only on the back burner but moved off the stove altogether for some time. If you can't write here, you can't write I tell myself. There are no chores, no responsibilities and no need to even look at clocks. The tides dominate--low tide for exploring and high tide for dramatic, crashing waves. The sunshine wakes us in the morning and when we can no longer see the waves, it's time for wine and conversation. Here we are not interrupted by every day oughts and shoulds. Conversation drifts from topic to topic and sometimes come full circle--leapfrogging along from tears to laughter to moments of quiet introspection. Inspired by the beauty of water, trees and wild life and nurtured by the easy pace, I feel untethered and blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to everything Edythe wrote. I could not say it any better. That must be why her Blog is titled: Edythe Ann says.... Good to have you back to pen and paper or should I say, fingers to keyboard!

    ReplyDelete