Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wait and Wait Some More

I finally got an appointment scheduled with Dr. Kollmorgan. Unfortunately it isn’t until April 8th. That seems so far away and I want to get started and have a plan in place. Yesterday (Monday) was a bit of a low day, mostly because of the delay in getting things moving towards a resolution. Today, a week from tomorrow doesn’t seem all that far away. I could see a different surgeon sooner but feel I am better off waiting for one of the best in the area rather than hurrying myself into something I might regret later.

My friend Carolyn A. took me to meet her breast cancer support group last night. They have been meeting for thirteen years and they have all survived breast cancer for at least that long and some for much longer. It was good to talk to a group of women about their cancer experiences. They represent a range of treatment options from lumpectomy to double mastectomy and all sorts of treatments after surgery. The common denominator is that they are all still active, vital women.

Of course they all pointed out that there have been many advances in the last ten to twenty years. I will definitely benefit from that and from the experiences that other breast cancer patients can share with me. All those times I harbored secret resentment against all the attention that breast cancer got! Now I can be grateful and take advantage of all the research that they raised money for. I can wear pink and not feel so resentful that the other cancers aren’t better represented.

1 comment:

  1. Next step: appointment.

    Next step: plan.

    Next step: action.

    Next step: recovery.

    Next step: continue "active vital" life.

    Makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete