Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Visualizations

My friend LaVae reminds me that visualizations are an important part of treatment and recovery. As one goes through the various procedures, it is good to create an image of the cancer weakening and being destroyed. This is a very personal process and it should be an image that each individual can create and recall as they navigate their individual cancer journey.

I have decided that my image will be like the Verizon ads: a vast sea of individuals all there to back up your phone service. Only in my image they will be there to support me and help me defeat cancer. Each of my network of people will be working on my recovery by providing me with love and encouragement; saying prayers and putting me on their prayer chains; researching treatment options and doing whatever they can to ensure I get excellent reception and service every step of the way.

During my first bout with cancer in 1996, I envisioned the chemo as tough and feisty enforcement guys cleaning up the neighborhood and kicking out all the radical misfits who were actually weak little punks. These puny bad guys didn’t stand a chance against my chemo-cocktail fueled enforcers. They cleaned up the neighborhood and had radiation guys go in behind them to make sure not a misfit was left. They did a heck of a job and I may call on them again but for now I’m liking my vast sea of support people. “Can you hear me now?”

No comments:

Post a Comment