Friday, July 3, 2009

Ondansetron to the Rescue

I’ve had a bad few days. Wednesday, my friend Carol and I went to Gervais Salon to treat ourselves to pedicures. Mine was spoiled by an onset of nausea. Fortunately, Carol was driving and took me back to her house where I could barf and rest a while. I slept for an hour and thought the queasiness was lifting but we decided to skip our lunch at BJs and have me drive straight home. I made it home in time to be sick again and fell into bed. I stayed sick for the rest of the day and all night and called the doctor’s office Thursday. I was told to continue taking the Ativan and Compazine, melting them under my tongue rather than taking then with water and see if I didn’t feel better. I asked about the option of medical marijuana but was told that the clinic does not support that alternative. Oh, well, there may be other ways. I just wasn’t up to exploring them then.

Chuck spoon fed me yogurt and got me to drink as much water as I would manage at one time.

Another night of nausea and pain and I was back on the phone. Forgetting, of course, that it’s July 3rd and so the office is closed. I was referred to a Dr. Glenn Buchanan who was on call and phoned in a prescription for Ondansetron to Safeway. Bless Safeway for keeping the pharmacy open today. I am to take this pill by letting it dissolve under my tongue. Dr B. advised that if I don’t get relief, I should go to the emergency room and get something via I.V. in addition to getting re-hydrated. I took the tablet two hours ago and so far no vomiting, nausea, significant headaches, constipation, diarrhea, stomach pain, etc. Sometimes I wonder if it’s wise to read these warning lists they send home with the prescription.

I’m hoping for the best but am glad we have a back up plan if it doesn’t work. Cancer Sucks!!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment